Contributing to SWUpdate¶
Contributions are welcome ! Please follow the following guideline for contributions.
These are mostly general recommendations and are common practice in a lot of FOSS projects.
- use git to manage your changes [recomended]
- follow as much as possible kernel codestyle [recomended] Nevertheless, some rules are not so strict as in kernel. The maximum line length can be extended over 80 chars if this increase code readability.
- add the required copyright header to each new file introduced [required]
- add signed-off to all patches [required]
- to certify the “Developer’s Certificate of Origin”, see below
- check with your employer when not working on your own!
- add version number for your patches if follow-up versions are requested [recomended]
- Add a “Change from Vx” description under the commit message to take track of the history of the patch.
- It is suggested to use excellent “patman” tool to manage patches series. This is part of U-Boot’s project (tools/patman), but it can be used in other projects, too.
- check that your patches do not break build [required]
- There is a set of configuration files in the configs/ directory. Please run a build for all files in the directory to ensure that SWUpdate is still buildable from configurations different as yours.
- post patches to mailing list [required]
- use git format-patch to generate your patches.
- use git send-email if possible. This avoid corruptions due to the mailers
- add a prefix [meta-swupdate] if patches are intended to the Yocto’s meta layer.
- send patches inline, do not append them
- no HTML emails!
- do not use github Pull Request. github facilities are not used for this project. The review is done in a single place : the Mailing List. PR from github are ignored.
Developer’s Certificate of Origin 1.1¶
When signing-off a patch for this project like this
Signed-off-by: Random J Developer <email@example.com>
using your real name (no pseudonyms or anonymous contributions), you declare the following:
By making a contribution to this project, I certify that:
- The contribution was created in whole or in part by me and I have the right to submit it under the open source license indicated in the file; or
- The contribution is based upon previous work that, to the best of my knowledge, is covered under an appropriate open source license and I have the right under that license to submit that work with modifications, whether created in whole or in part by me, under the same open source license (unless I am permitted to submit under a different license), as indicated in the file; or
- The contribution was provided directly to me by some other person who certified (a), (b) or (c) and I have not modified it.
- I understand and agree that this project and the contribution are public and that a record of the contribution (including all personal information I submit with it, including my sign-off) is maintained indefinitely and may be redistributed consistent with this project or the open source license(s) involved.